6.06.2006

finally...

I hope that the length of time since my last update will keep your attention seeing that this post has no picture attached. I've already taken six since I've been here though! First, let's get down to business:

I (heart) YUK
grey polyester
I (heart) NY
BCAAAAA
TUESDAYS
Martin Gymnastics
Pray for China
Aggie Pumpfest
BCA 1/4 Formal (that I didn't go to)
iWitness '05
PC closing day
Jesus es mi amigo (new)
6 Chicks shirt
iW '06 (also new).

Therefore, Jon wins the contest (unless I miscounted, but I figured if he entered he would win).

In other news, I'm doing well here in Brenham, I'm working with jr high kids and trying to teach them job skills and how to be a real man (which I'm certainly still learning). I'm also doing tons of video editing stuff, which I truly enjoy. I need not forget to mention that I've also been put in charge of driving a 15 passenger van around a town I do not know in order to pick kids up everyday. This provides tons of laughs for me, and an equal number of frustrations for my passengers.

This part has potential to be pretty long, so if you want to skip it, I guess you can. This past weekend I was blessed with the chance to go to Waco and experience a thing they like to call "poverty simulation." The gist of it is that you are forced to go through the weekend with the same income as a single mother of three living at the poverty line. That's not very much. I do not want to go into detail about the in's and out's of the simulation, in case you ever decide to do it (which I recommend... paying money to be poor for a weekend... brilliant). I do, however, want to elaborate on the weekend's finale. I was so blessed to go to a Sunday morning service at Church Under the Bridge. This beautiful sanctuary is right across the street from Baylor's campus, and is appropriately, under I-35. It's members include a large number of folks who are homeless or marginalized in some form or fashion. There are also a handful of college students and middle-class people who meet under the interstate for worship each week. I was just really blown away as I looked back over the approximately 200 people who were in attendance, and I remember vividly my thought that Jesus must be happy with the goings on here. I found out that the speaker on Sunday, who happened to also be the director of Mission Waco, Jimmy Durell, is writing a book that will release soon. I was elated to find out that the person writing the intro to his book is none other than my current author-man-crush, Shane Claiborne, who wrote The Irresistible Revolution, and you can read about that here. So yeah, great weekend, great people, great God.

I am so sorry that I have not had time to check y'alls blogs, emails, phone calls (actually, I can do those... hint hint), but take heart! I love you people so much. I miss you guys a lot and for those of you on the field, I'm praying for you (hope you're under a secure browser) and for those of you going to Lauren's wedding, I cannot wait to see y'all! I love you again.

So sorry again that this isn't exciting, and forgive me for all the apologies. If you aren't inclined to post a comment or anything, I understand. I'll still be your friend.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're alive! PTL!!!

We were getting worried.

Anonymous said...

amen! and ditto to mikey.

i am glad you got to be poor for the weekend--that's like a dream come true for you.

My first wish is you could bring that 15 passenger monster to Lauren's wedding, but I'll be just as excited to see you!!

bev said...

Hey D.O.! I dig your blog!

Good to hear you liked pov sim (i got to experience it earlier this spring!)

& good to hear you're diggin' Shane Claiborne!! That book is amazing!!

Peace!

Anonymous said...

i ditto mikey and sarah! For the past 2 weeks I have asked Mikey daily if he had heard from you! Glad to hear you're alive and glad to see you next week! PTL indeed!

colby said...

I have lots of stories to tell you that only you and Mikey may understand. I hope you are loving it there. I love you from here.

Jon David Tettleton said...

i miss you bro...keep being funny...i thought about you today when i laughed at this dude and no one else did...and then i thought...whatever d.o. would have laughed...sounds like you are doing great...continue!

Kelly said...

Derrick Oliver, reading your blog always brightens my day! i would have entered your contest but alas, i am not a very detailed person...but i liked reading the guesses for sure! i know you are learning so much in Brenham right now! You are a blessing! Keep on!

BHG & Co. said...

did you really o nly take those 14 shirts?? you know in texas heat, you must have at least 1.78 shirts per day.... and...you never told me as to whether or not you took anything in additon to t-shirts (i don't remember anything else mentioned.. you know like, oh-i don't know-PANTS??? A concept with so much more meaning after perusing the Hendrick blog....

later DOH!

Anonymous said...

Hi D.O. Did you have a cup when you acted like the poor people? Like in Mexico, some people would have a cup and kind of shake it. And they would sit on the concrete. Then people would walk by and give them money. Were you like one of those people? Oh Wait! I'm going to be in KidShine!

faith said...

tell chris gaines i said hi and that i still listen to that john piper cd he gave me, it's awesome.

i hope you have a great summer! let's see some pictures!

Brooke said...

the chicks are waiting to see you!!!! you better get here fast. it's gonna be a HAPPY day! :)