12.31.2006

where I've been

I wish I could post a picture here, showing you the grandeur of all that was my ski trip in the Colorado Rockies, but given my current computer/internet/camera status, that won't be happening (yet). More on my current situation at the end of this post. First, skiing.

I've spent that past few days doing one of the very few things in life that I'm decent at: snow skiing. From Keystone to Vail to Breckenridge, I've worked hard at conquering each mountain, one run at a time. Keystone: conquered. Vail: too big to conquer. Breckenridge: conquered. The story I've chosen to share is an event that happened in Breck.

I stopped for lunch for the first time in three days. After eating my Vienna Sausages and tortillas I started gearing up for the trip's final afternoon. As we made our way out, one of my ski buddies recommended that we do a shirtless run. I, of course, obliged (see the carpe diem post below).

There are a couple things to keep in mind as you construct yourself a mental picture of my little topless run.

1) Mountains, winter, snow skiing... cold! I'd say it was somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees. Not terrible.

2) I have red hair, which, by default means that I have very pasty skin. My fleece is white as snow.

So there I go, equipped with skis, pants, gloves, a giant red beard, a hat and goggles, flying down a lift that quite conveniently ran directly below the nearest ski lift. If you are ever in Colorado and you want to be popular, take off your shirt and ski beneath a lift. I've never had so many people yell for me in my life. There were lots of people pointing, wondering what was wrong with me. Let 'em think that. While they're thinking that, I'll be seizing my days.

Back to my current status: I'm stuck in the La Quinta here in Pueblo, Colorado because God decided to place the biggest storm in American history on the same day as our drive home. Chances aren't really looking too good that we'll get to leave here tomorrow either... strug. Stay tuned to see if I ever get to leave this place. Oh, and don't think, "how cool, he's stuck in his favorite state." Not quite, this isn't cool Colorado, it's not-so-cool-Colorado-in-a-hotel-with-nut-bag-people. Oh well... carpe diem.

No comments: