4.09.2006

save the trees!

I would consider myself a sort of pseudo-conservationist, a false-environmentalist, if you will. You see, I deeply sympathize with those who hold strong concerns for our over consumption of our environment. The reason I feel it necessary to tack on the "pseudo" prefix to my title is that I just don't carry out my convictions too strongly in this area. Sure, there are small things I do, like reuse the same lunch bag all through college (and a similar one during high school), but I just don't know how much of an impact that is making. And yes, I keep those cover sheets from print offs at the computer labs as scratch paper (and not without persecution from some of those closest to me I might add), but I only print off so many documents. I even utilize the two-sided feature when printing class notes. These are small efforts on my behalf to preserve our environment, but I bet I haven't even saved a small tree yet. This is the kind of thing I battle with constantly, and it truly is a wonder that I get any sleep at all with such weighty things on my plate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should start composting. Thomas can teach you. He's a pro.

Anonymous said...

really, same bag throughout college?! no rips, tears, or spilled contents...i find that hard to believe.

Anonymous said...

you can also conserve paper by writing in the margins when taking notes...yet another small effort available to you. take it from me, the environmentalist extraodinaire (afterall my birthday is on earth day), every little bit helps ;)

but really, there is just something about brown paper bags that make a homemade lunch that much better!