The title isn't to make you think that I'm offering you something that won't be available much longer, rather it's to let you know that I don't have a whole lot of time to write this post. As usual, I'll apologize for there not being a picture. I'll also go ahead and apologize for it not being funny or awesome. Sorry and sorry.
So here's the deal: I've got until Friday the 28th of July. Once that day comes (really, once 12:30pm that day comes) my work here in Brenham is over. I will have to stay another week to clean up and debrief and things of the sort, but the work part is over. Sadly, there just isn't a whole lot that excites me more than the thought of my time here being over. Why is that sad? Oh, well let me tell you. (Disclaimer: being that I have limited time to write this I'm sure I'll say things that I haven't completely thought through yet, but this is what's on my mind, and if it's heretical, know that I really do mean well).
Jesus said tons of things about how we, his followers, ought to be involved with helping those who cannot help themselves. In America, I believe that a huge group of people that fall into that category are the people who we often call "poor." I don't like the thought of calling people poor, but then I realize that Jesus did, so it must be okay. Anyway, the way I read scripture, I think as a follower of Jesus I should be involved in helping the poor, and I think that should be in a more tangible way than simply throwing money at them through some organization like Compassion International. I actually like doing things of that nature, but I really think that Christians do stuff like that and then check the "help the poor" box off their good deeds list.
Ok, crap... lots of people just walked in the room, and I can no longer go on letting my fingers think for all of you to read; not their fault, my mind just can't handle it. I also have to leave to drive around Brenham for an hour, picking people up for a youth conference in a van that broke down on me last week... Sorry for the incomplete blog, but maybe it'll give you something to work with... this one had the potential to be way too long, so it's probably best. Terrible ending... dang it.
7.25.2006
limited time only!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i am just gonna sit here on the edge of my seat until I get the next chapter....
D.O.,
Being called to impact and influence our world is what having a personal realtionship with Christ ought to be about.
Not just doing something for HIM is our feeble human efforts, but abiding in HIM, and our doing coming or growing out of being in vitual union with HIM.
The energy to accomplish the task HE sets before us must be supplied and maintained by HIM. HIS sufficiency in the midst of our insufficiency.
Too often we try to do for God what only HE can do.
Most of what we do or attempt do in order to get God's attention or appease HIM leaves a stench in HIS nostrils instead of being a sweet smelling aroma pleasing to the LORD.
While going off to accomplish some grandiose task while living and working among the poor and/or needy sounds noble on the surface and even sacrificial, there are other things to consider.
At least on the surface it sound more noble that all the lazy "Christians" who won't lift a finger to cross the street to help someone or do something unless it benefits them is some temporal and tangible way. Many Christians have found it much easier to simple sit around in their soft comfortable pews in their air conditioned Churches talking about how much we love Jesus rather than being in HIS harvest fields serving HIM for HIS glory.
Our Churches today are filled with a bunch of spiritually "fat" pew patatoes lounging around feeling proud that they showed up in an air conditioned building looking really religious for a whole hour once a week in order to impress God with how righteous they appear to be on the outside.
Most people who call themselves Christian have mistakenly bought into the devil's lie that being religious and looking good and righteous on the outside is acceptable to God as long as you try really hard to be good most of the time -- at least better than the person next to you. That's hypocrisy -- presenting a false face before others to appear to be something we are not. Most of us are really good at it.
Only one big problem, we don't fool God. God is not interested what appears on the surface of our lives. HE examines and weighs our hearts. God is not impressed with us simply tipping our hats so to speak at HIM once a week with our smug shallow ritualistic offerings of one hour a week out of 168, and even in that one hour our hearts are far from HIM. Jesus descibed this weekly ritual in words confirming Isaiah's prophecy, "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain" (Mt. 15:8-9a)
HE wants all of us 24 -7 not just lip service.
D.O., if the LORD is calling you to devote your life in HIS service to meet the needs of the poor then do it wholeheartedly rejoicing in HIM and HIS wonderful plan. I believe that God has a wonderful plan to use you to impact HIS Kingdom for HIS glory.
But it would be important for you to understand that their are many on the mission field and in places of ministry today are who there not because God called them, but because they called themselves. They found it easier to do that than actually to seek HIS will for their lives. Sadly, their lives are miserable, and their ministries spiritually dry and unfruitful.
God is still calling people to serving HIM, and what you hear in your spirit and feel in your soul may genuinely be HIS call on your life -- I certainly am not questioning its genuineness.
But, always remember that your task is not to do something "big" for God seeking and asking HIS blessing so you will feel good about who you are and what you've done. Instead, look for where God is already working as join HIM in the work. HIS presence in the harvest field is what is important, not ours.
I have always been intrigued with a question that Jesus asked a man who was lying by the pool of Bethesda. The man had been an invalid for 38 years, and Jesus asked him this,
"Do you want to get well?"
(Jn. 5:6)
Important question. Hard question to understand. One of the important lessons, however, that I've learned in my ministry, is that not everyone who is either physically or spiritually sick really want to get well.
Many people intentionally choose to remain just like they are. They may allow you to "help them," but along the way they will ultimately sabotage all your efforts, energies, counsel, encouragement, friendships, and resources expended simplt to remain "sick."
You might asked, "What's the point Uncle Stan?"
D.O., what I'm about to say may sound harsh or even judgmental, but most poor people I know are poor because they choose to stay in poverty. They don't want your help to change their situation. Oh, they may want what you can give them so that they can temporally ease their situation for awhile but the truth is they like their poverty. I believe poverty is not so much a state of existence as it is a state of mind.
This is true whether it is physical poverty or spiritual poverty.
You are correct in your theological understanding that as genuine Christians we ought to be more directly involved in the hands on approach of ministering to those in need rather than simply throwing our dollars at some organization or program to do it for us.
We may need to do both-- that is, provide money to orgaization who are really having an impact and personal involvement. But most of us have chosen to substitute a few extra dollars in the envelop so we will feel better about not doing something that would get our fingers dirty.
D.O., what they need most from you is Jesus. They need HIM to heal them not just temporaryly fix them for the moment until something better is being offered or given away by someone else. They need Jesus to work HIS miracle from the inside out.
Your ability and opportunity to help "the poor" or "helpless" as a servant of Christ might better be accomplished by using your education, passion, and ingenuity to work at a job in the business world and then utilize your resources and position as an opportunity or means to mentor some kid(s). Realistically you will never be able to change all that is wrong by throwing yourself at the problem -- that is the same thing as throwing money at some organization which you disapprove of others doing. On the other hand, if as a businessman or whatever career you choose, you invest your resourses, engergies, and efforts in the lives of a few young men who would be personally influenced by you. Influenced because they saw the truth of Jesus lived out in your example as a business man -- husband, father, grandfather, etc.
The full impact of your influence modeled before them may not be immediately realized, but over time your influence could have a tremendous contribution through the lives of those you touched by being real in a world where Christians find it easier pretending to be what they are not.
Those in the target group you seek to minister to must first be touched and healed by Jesus one at a time. Their changed lives will be what God uses to bring about change their "hoods," which HE can use to bring about a more lasting transformation.
Jesus told HIS disciples that they would always have the poor with them. What was true then is also true today. There will always be poor and needy people in our fallen world, and it is obvious that God has made your heart especially sensitive to their plight. Stay close to HIM. Seek HIS face daily. Discover where HE is working, and join HIM, treasure HIS presence, and allow HIM to take you by the hand with HIS RIGHTEOUS RIGHT ARM and guide you.
Remember, the Christian life is a journey. A journey in which we can experience the wonderful promise of HIS abiding presence even in the face of tremendous challenges.
I offer these thoughts as I too await the suspense of the conclusion of your hurried blog. By the way, there will always be interruptions along life's journey. Those sudden unexpected -- unexpect and for that matter often unwanted interruption on our part always seem to come right when we thought we were doing something so important, but maybe, just maybe, they are not interruptions but divine encounters of the heavenly kind utilized by the Lord to get our attention or redirect our path.
Love Uncle Stan
Post a Comment