7.02.2007

the new machine

Well this is my first post that my new machine's ever produced. It looks like that. It was a ridiculously nice present from my folks. They love giving me stuff I don't need. They love.

I've not yet said goodbye to my old machine however. I've been with her for five years now. She wrote every college paper I ever submitted, every journal entry I ever typed for the past half-decade. She houses every picture I've taken on my digital camera and every song I've purchased over the past 20 years. Even though she's done all those things, I'm not emotionally attached to her. That's not my reason for keeping her around. It's more of an issue her inability to take said documents and move them to the machine in my lap right now.

This is where my normal readers quit reading and my helpful quasi-geeky readers read on.

I've had a ridiculous time trying to transfer files from my old computer (XP) to this one (Vista). I've installed "Windows Easy Transfer" on both machines, acquired an Easy Transfer Cable from Laura (thanks), and reached the point where the computers recognize that the other exist. When I start the file transfer process, before a single file is actually moved, while the program is 89% into determining the size of files to be moved, Windows informs me that an unknown error has occurred and that Easy Transfer needs to be closed. This is enough to drive a man to cuss.

I've read everything Microsoft's support has to offer on this issue, and I've yet to come across anyone who's had this same issue. I emailed the folks at Microsoft and they were kind enough to send me the links to all the pages I've already read. More temptation to cuss. So needless to say, this has been a frustrating process. I just want my pictures and music on the ol' laptop. Is that too much to ask?

So anybody got any suggestions? Thomas? Mikey? Random reader that doesn't normally post comments but obliges for such a time as this?

3 comments:

linley said...

i got nothing. does that make you want to cuss, too?

Thomas Supercinski said...

D.O.,

I'm assuming you have broadband Internet access in your home, yes?

If so, you most likely have some sort of wired/wireless router with multiple ports? If so, you could get both of these machines on the local network that is behind the router and then with a bit of configuration simply copy the files from one to the other. I can certainly talk with you about this via the phone, or if you can get both machines hooked up to the network, then go to http://www.supercinski.net/support/ and do what the page says, I can helped you remotely. Yep.

Let me know. Wednesday or Friday afternoon or this weekend would work well for me.

lo said...

or you can call the geek squad at best buy (i know you've been waiting for that opportunity your whole life) they were really excited to give me lots of options on how to switch all my information over. they can even copy everything for you at their store (i know...somewhat of an inconvenience, but a small price to pay for the results you are looking for) and then they'll give you the cd's dvd's or whatever y'all decided to use and you can put them on your new computer.....and keep those things as a back up. not a bad deal, i think it takes like 2 or 3 days.

call the geek squad...do it, i dare you!

[i probably could have just called you to tell you all this.]