No, this isn't a picture of my trip to College Station's latest death metal show, nor is it my head shot for my haunted house application (though I do need a job). It's what I looked like after applying a fresh coat of spray paint to the Hendrick staircase.
Aaron and I had the brilliant, what-could-go-wrong idea of plastic-ing off the area surrounding the staircase so we could spray freely, without concern for dirtying up the rest of the house. We even made a resealable door to get in and out of our plastic vat (background of picture). Well after a couple hours and about 8 cans of spray paint we learned a few valuable lessons:
1) Spray paint makes things sticky, and when you're surrounded by 1mm plastic walls and floors, sticky is, to put it lightly, miserable.
2) Josh Langston surgical masks help with the fume factor, while simultaneously concentrating loose paint beneath your eyes, and in my case, in your beard.
3) When you made an opening in your vat, regardless of whether or not it's resealable, loose paint that doesn't end up on your face ends up in every neighboring room the house has.
4) Paint thinner isn't so easy on the eyes... As in, I wouldn't put it in your eyes. It burns.
5) Because of Lesson 3, spray painting in the house may save you some time as far as the paint is concerned, but when you factor in the clean up... it's hardly worth it.
6) Apparently the professionals put Vaseline beneath their eyes and nose in order to make for easy facial clean up. (We of course found this out as we were rubbing paint thinner in places it needn't be).
Nevertheless, Aaron and I enjoyed serving Heather in that quasi-toxic plastic vat. Well I did... I think Aaron did too. If not, he's more than welcome to defend himself by correcting me in the comments below.
Stay tuned for a photo of the finished project!
9.04.2007
pointer finger tip: numb
Labels: random
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I am LOVING you weirdos right now!
Even though there is black spray paint specks on my desk I'm sitting at that is nowhere near the staircase...
I still love you two.
It looks fabulous...
And if that paint did NOT come out of your beard...
Maybe you will shave it off...and get a hair cut...
And then...oh glorious day...
I will have a beautiful stair case and D.O. looking clean shaven again...
Two very wonderful things.
Thank you for helping my husband!!
I can't imagine the brain cells you guys lost yesterday. Good thing the two of you have plenty to spare.
Heather
I did enjoy myself.
Sort of in the same way I enjoy golf. I couldn't care less for the game, but the company makes it fun.
Thanks for the company and for making an otherwise horrible task enjoyable.
I still have black boogers.
For the record...
Aaron Hendrick is one of my favorite people in the whole world. Yes it's because we worked closely together for 3+ yrs, and yes we also had fun in many skits together, but mainly because he's the kind of person who will end a comment saying...
"I still have black boogers."
Not only that, but when he says it... it sounds normal.
D.O., i think you look like a racoon in this picture. :)
That is a pretty scary picture. I kinda looks like you have 2 black eyes.
Even if it didn't completely work, I'm still impressed with the re-sealable door. Way to put that college degree to work.
That is awesome. I just like imagining you sitting around contemplating all the things that could go horribly wrong with this, and then thinking, "It'll be fine... we have a resealable door!"
I'm kinda confused about the surgical mask comment..did I give you a mask? either way, I post this comment with an uneasy feeling of being somewhat responsible.
DO: "don't worry about the toxic effects of the paint, I have this old surgical mask that my friend josh gave me!"
Post a Comment