10.01.2006

this weekend's wedding

There's no getting around it. It's just that time in my life. You know the time. You're either experiencing it right now, or you recall it happening to you back in the day. It is an inevitable season that middle-class Americans face. Just as the the snow has no choice but to melt when spring ends, so too it seems that college graduates have little to do upon finishing school other than to get married. (Now obviously this doesn't apply to all college graduates, but it does apply to enough of them that they, though single, end up spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on tux rentals or bridesmaids dresses for their fellow graduates' weddings.)

I was blessed this past weekend with the opportunity of standing on stage with my boy Drew Lewis as he fell into the beautiful trap of wedlock. A lot of people who find themselves in this period of life
will often be heard complaining (albeit cleverly discrete) that they're "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" or a male equivalent of the sort. I've not reached that point yet. I still just enjoy going to weddings to see dearly loved friends that I wouldn't get to see otherwise. Weddings also allow you a chance, if you want it, to meet new people. All in all I just really enjoy weddings, and I'm glad that I'm allowed to be a part of them from time to time. I'm also very glad that Drew and Lindsey are cool enough to put me as "D.O." as opposed to Derrick Oliver in the wedding bulletin, pictured above... Seriously, that is a very cool thing to do.

I'll leave you with a story that happened at the rehearsal, because it is a pretty good representation of my lack of social skills.

The wedding party is ordered to go stand by their name tags on the stage. I found the one that said "D.O. Oliver" and stood behind it. The set up was such that each groomsmen had a bridesmaid accompanying him, three pairs on either side of the bride and groom. Having been raised by parents who tried their best to teach me how to interact with other humans, I took the liberty of introducing myself to the bridesmaid I was to escort in the ceremony. She informed me that her name was Erin and we exchanged the usual "where are you from/ what do you do" small talk.

During our discussion I learned that she is a Kanakuk girl. A few minutes later (seriously, only a few, it had not been long) I decided I'd tell her of my Kanakuk experience, so I said to her confidently, "E
mily, I'd like you to know that I went to KAA this summer."

"It's Erin" she retorted immediately.

I responded by, of course, overreacting and making sure that she knew that I really was aware of what an idiot I was. The good thing about starting a relationship like that is that there is no place to go but up, and the rest of the weekend went just fine.

Thanks to Drew and Lindsey for letting me be a part of their special day, and thanks to you for reading this far on this longer than average post. Since I'm pretty sure my mom is the only person who is still reading, here's a treat for you: Your son in his tux, sans jacket, next to a chair that makes him look significantly taller than he really is
.

5 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

Your real mother and your college mother.

How swell you look all fancied up.

Travis said...

Your real mother, your college mother, and a college mother who likes you.

Ditto on the fanciness.

lo said...

look at you, mr. fancy pants! i love the things that happen at weddings...rehearsals, the actual ceremony and the receptions...

keep on enjoying this time in life. i know i am

Kelly said...

so i worked with erin hughens at k-1 for two summers and holly o'reilly was her co-counselor:) hilarious.

Thomas Supercinski said...

Your real mother, your college mother, a college mother who likes you, laura, Kelly, and me.

I must say you look dapper in the photo. I can only imagine what wedding guests that don't know you were thinking about the D.O. on the program (if they read it).