3.05.2007

super power

The other day conversation in the break room turned to the ever-popular topic of choosing for yourself a super power. Unwilling to compromise my creativity by answering with a typical "flying" or "being invisible," I racked my brain to think of what extra-human ability I'd grace myself with. I decided I'd like to have the capacity to read extremely fast, while being able to retain all of what I read. How fast? Somewhere in the ballpark of reading all the books in my local Barnes in an hour.

This break room banter wouldn't normally have made it to a blog entry (though I'm sure you've noticed the blog's significant decline in excitement since graduation) had it not been for my very cool discovery on Wikipedia tonight. Wikibooks! More specifically, the Learn Chinese book. How cool is that?

I'm pretty sure the on my list of things to do before I leave for Heaven there lies an item called "Learn another language." Note that I'm just pretty sure, I'm not entirely sold on it yet. If I were to pursue learning another language, I think I'd like it to be Chinese. Upon mastering the second tongue, I could instantly talk to a new third of the world's population! So many new friends could be made. All thanks to Wikipedia. What a brilliant thing.

What are you going to learn? Share!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

remember when i told you that you should dress up like a little kid playing like a super hero...isn't that what the picture is of??

Thomas Supercinski said...

I have a friend, KK, who just returned from the big rooster country and wants to keep her Chinese up. Perhaps she could be your tutor in a mutually benefitting sort of way.

Brooke said...

i want to learn another language too---- let me know when you figure out how! i'm thinking thai. i would buy another book if it would help.

The Haley Smith said...

Although Derrick's blog is the home page of our computer, thanks to DO himself, I have to say a rarely read mainly because of lack of time. However, in an unusual night of insomnia, I'm catching up and I would like to concur about the lack of excitement after graduation. I realized what I loser I was when my news for the week was that I got to change cubes at work. Man is being an adult cool!

texasmcvays said...

I'm going to learn how to garden! We miss seeing you at church....The McVays

Suggestion for your lanaguae is use Learnables its an emersion homeschool curric. on computer about $50 for a years worth of language.