Remember my two cool friends who started their own t-shirt co.? One of those sweet girls, upon hearing me express my feelings about my current life situation, recommended and later loaned me this book, for which I am thankful indeed.
Twentysomething: Surviving and Thriving in the Real World by Margaret Feinberg.
As I was reading through this book I really appreciated how Feinberg put into words a lot of the things that have been going through my head the past year or so. Some of the issues addressed I've since come to terms with, others I haven't yet, and others still I never wrestled with in the first place. She offered nothing profound, but because she wrote this book at the tail end of her twenteysomething years, the issues were still fresh on her mind and she was able to clearly express them. However, after presenting various issues that any given twentysomething deals with (adjusting to work-life, looking for community, desiring marriage or being married, paying bills) I was mostly unimpressed with how she then failed to teach on them, firmly backing her opinions with the Word.
Don't get me wrong, there were Word references and a lot of things she said were pretty fruitful, but I finished the book thinking, "There needs to be an awesome book about this very topic, and this is not it." Still though, I think this is a valuable book to read soon after graduating from college because if nothing else, it solidifies in the mind of the reader that it is entirely okay for you to be thinking the things you think. You aren't alone in this new stage of life. Lots of other people are going through it too.
So all in all, not a bad book, and until I find a better one, this'll be my recommendation to all the new graduates who come to me seeking wisdom... all zero of them. Thanks Nat-town for the loan. Much appreciated.
5.30.2007
book review vol. ten
Labels: book reviews
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
my friends dad wrote a book called "how to ruin your life by 40" his name is steve farrar he also wrote Point Man a famous man book. anyway. i read it and enjoyed it. he is blunt and genuine...two things i enjoy. my friend josh farrar helped write it which might make the book cooler to me. anyway. another book that might be what you are looking for.
Post a Comment