As anyone who has either talked to me or read my blog in the past ten months knows well, living in Dallas has been no walk in the park for me. Going from lots of good things (pre-Dallas) to lots of, well, different things, has been tricky to put it mildly. Something that has been very constant in my life this past year is the people pictured above. The up to, but not exceeding, 6 hours of Scrubs that is on TV daily. I've found solace in a television show.
I know, those of you who know pre-Dallas D.O. may be shocked to hear that the guy who took pride in not having a television in his house on Luther now adores a sitcom. Well it's true. Spending a minimum of an hour a day, every day, with people (even if they're fictional) will force you to grow closer to them all the time. I count JD and Turk as my friends. I've had a crush on Elliot that I've since gotten over. I love Carla's nuggets of wisdom. These fake people have caused me to laugh countless times and cry more times than I care to admit. Seriously, this show turns me in to an emotional high school girl. They make me long for the tight-knit community that I had back in the Station. They make me think about Josh Langston and how he could be JD. These thirty minutes journeys birth all kinds of thoughts in my balding head.
I've heard it said that the reason people love television shows so much is they long to have a community like the one their favorite TV characters experience. I never disagreed with the idea, but now I know it as entirely true. At least for me and I imagine for a lot of other twentysomethings out there who come home from their full-time jobs to a humanless apartment with a television set waiting there on them. I'm not without community (thank Father!) but a lot of the people who make up my community do lack one important quality: physical presence. Well that being the case, I'm thankful for Turk, JD, Elliot and Carla. I'm also extremely thankful that my real-life roomate and close friend Mikey enjoys their company as well.
5.24.2007
uncanny
Labels: television
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i have been subsribed to you for the last week as well. i like what i read.
I love Scrubs! Heather and I got totally addicted to that show a while back. We set our DVR to record every episode.
But since it comes on about 27 times a day it started hogging all of the hard disk space on our recorder. We couldn't watch them as fast as it could record them.
So we've cut back some.
But I'm glad that they are keeping you company in Dallas.
Tell them all "hello" for me. And don't forget Perry. He's really one of my favorites and you didn't mention him.
you say you subscribe - does this mean you saw the three pictures i have of you on my flickr? if not, see them here:
flickr.com/photos/thispresentsojourn
WEDNESDAY
I LOVE SCRUBS!!
And we have said so many times that JD is SO Josh Langston. You can't have a crush on Elliot, but you can have a crush on her hair. It always rocks.
Heather
Post a Comment