6.10.2005

this, that, and the other

I've realized that I come to this internet place - which is pretty funny, and probably nothing like you imagine it -simply for the sake of going, and not necessarily because I have stuff to write. So don't blame me for bad posts, I warned you.

I just found out that my backspace key on this wonderful computer I was assigned to does not work, so when you get to the end of this post and see all the random letters and things, know that it isn't Chinese or secondary cussing, but it's the various typing mistakes I made while compiling this post. That said, I decided I liked the setup of my previous post (update/story, shout-outs, PR's) and I think I'll stay the course this time around. Oh, also note that this post was written before I could go to the fancy computer which allows me to view my comments that people send me, so if the shout-outs leave someone out, wait a day or two, and you'll get the credit due you.

This week consisted of a lot more traveling via boat and vehicle (bus, well, bus only really), than it did foot travel. Ergo, my socks didn't smell nearly as bad at the end of the week, so they required less washing. I did decide today, however, that the washing machine will be a good thing for all my clothes, especially socks, when I return to the states next month. So far I've only been using my sink and/or bathtub at hotels for washing clothes. I kinda like that way better, but I digress. The boat rides we took were really cool this week, they allowed us to see China from a slightly new perspective: the River's. This place really is beautiful. Let me take this moment to brag on Father for how amazing He is, and was this past week. First of all, the beauty we get to see in Creation, both nature and humans, is grounds alone for bragging on Him. As far as things specific to this week, He did all of the following (and more): provided 3 meals and a place to stay one night for free, kept us from trying to sleep in a town where foreigners aren't allowed to stay (the same town we were planning on crashing in), hooked us up with people to guide us to our next destinations, hooked us up even more with people (2) with whom we got to share stories from the Good Book and planted some seeds!, He gave Peep's (our guide/ the J-man here (if you don't know what J-man means, just know that he's here way longer than I'll be)) the words to the stories that planted said seeds, and He kept the security safe for the week dispite the cops in one town stopping us and asking to see our passports. He is so good, and He hears the stuff you talk to Him about, and does it! Pappy is all about answering our requests, and I'm pretty sure we ask for small things compared to what He wants to give us. Oh, I left out that He kept bugs from biting me one night when bugs clearly could and should have had their way with me.

Story: One of our few walks (hikes really) this week was a 3 to 4 hour hike along this road, and seriously, it was all uphill. We were on our way to a town in which we planned on doing the business we do in towns, then sleeping and moving on in the morning. About 30 minutes from the town we came across a road that led to a village, and more important to the story, a man who lived in this village. We had some small talk, and then he said we could come in the village and look around, and to follow him. He took us to his house where he insisted that we sit down and rest (as every Chinese person has done to us, whether in their house or shop, and regardless of whether we'd just walked 5 miles uphill or simply from next door). After sitting and talking for about 2 minutes, bro goes into another room and comes out with his "badge" of sorts, the kind that the rent-a-cops here wear. Rent-a-cop is the best I can compare them with something from the states. He showed us this, and told us about how he was a cop, and then after that conversation he went and put on his camo fatigues (complete with badge, which is really just an armband of sorts) because he had to go to work at 8:00 that night. He insisted, however, that we eat dinner at his house before he took us to town on his way to work. He tried to tell him that wasn't necessary, but he wouldn't have it. Chinese are hospitable and persistant, especially (but not exclusively) in the countryside. We ate dinner there, which was prepared by his 17 year old daughter alone, while everyone else was talking and playing. *(not part of the story, but I just found out this place is about to close, to the rest of this story may not get told in the detail I would like)* After dinner the man told us it was too dark to walk to town that night, that we should instead stay the night at his house, and go in the morning when we were rested and the sun was up. He made us wash our feet and faces, and then we all went upstairs to sleep in what i think was the daughters room. In the morning we went downstairs to leave, but bro insisted that we eat before we departed. We proceeded to eat the same meal we had the night before, and then we finally were escorted to town. About 5 minutes outside of the town, bro stops (still wearing his uniform), and points and tells us the rest of the way. After it was all said and done, we'd had a place to stay, two meals, and bro never went to work, nor did he even go into town with his camo on, which we concluded meant that he wasn't even a cop, or a rent-a-cop at all, he was just trying to impress us. Either way, I was impressed. Jon made a great conclusion this week: Ch's in America should treat everyone the way that Chinese treat Americans.

Ok, this place is closing, and I'll have to continue later. Stay tuned. Now, here are all my typing errors from the night:

ori was rsolefg euslap Hlyaod sheirti'llhglt epcetivec e tn neerfnotiro dsf=

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man! I really enjoy reading up on your trip...know that I'm pring for you! I really miss you guys. Here in college station things are good, but rather unexciting. I just read the pr request list that Butch sent out to the members and I read yours. Which in turn lead me here, and now it's my home page so that I can continually keep up with you and Jon. Welp, that's it.

Beth

Mr. O said...

D,

Man is it great to hear from you. I read your story and just can't wait for you to come home and expand on them. Mom and I are leaving tonight for Beach Camp. Lift us up as we do you. Our kids need to be still and know (hear) how truly awesome Father is. I guess we will catch up on your escapades next week. Keep strong and be safe.
dad