Some things lose value with time, some things quicker than others, while other things gain value with time.
The second you drive your new car off the lot the value drops like it's hot... unless it's one of those cars that end up being a classic and then said car turns out to be worth exponentially more than the amount which you paid for it (assuming it's well-kept, but I digress).
I, however, am coming less from a financial point of view and more from the amount of significance you place on any given material possession. Case in point: sorority shirts.
I used to view these tees as a status symbol (though I've never admitted it until now). Clearly he with the most cotton was the coolest person around, and the one with whom I certainly wanted to associate myself. Oh how the times have changed! That which I used hold in such high regard I now view as, among other things, in the way.
The event that sparked this thought process was packing up the entire house here on Luther Street. I've made lots of piles of things, and one of those piles is to be donated to Twin Cities Mission (because let's face it, I've got way too much stuff). I noticed that of the clothes I dubbed unworthy to remain in my wardrobe, sorority shirts boasted the highest percentage. Then I thought, "there is no way I would have tossed these gems any time in the first two years of college." The shirts that did make the cut, much to my mother's dismay, are the shirts that I've had since high school. They're softer, and they've proven themselves worthy.
One thing that I hope never loses it's value though, is the picture I posted with this post. It truly is priceless.
8.10.2006
sorority shirts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Is that your dad?
oh the d.o. before the six chick days.
hey, our shirt better still be in the "must keep" pile.
i'm in the same boat as you. except for the token few (aka like 2) they're pretty much gettin donated. status symbols? how lame were we?:) Yay for the Lord pulling us out of our lameness continually! how i will miss seeing your smiling face around here DO. I almost burst into tears yesterday as I drove past yall's houses. You all will definitely be missed. Keep writing. I want to hear about your life even if i don't get to see you!
you have no idea how proud i am of you. here's to better days without those stupid sorority shirts!
Post a Comment