11.10.2006

book store thoughts

I love bookstores. Half-Priced Books, Barnes and Nobles, Borders, you name it, and I probably like it - unless it's a comic book store. I love that you can go into a book store in any city of America and feel like you've been there before (once you find a book, an empty chair, and start to read).

I've had a few days off from work this week and the past couple days I've found myself riding my bike in the disgustingly hot Dallas weather to the local Barnes where I proverbially swim around in the sea of books. I've got this gift where I'm able to find a book that peaks my interest in nearly every section of the store. I mean it could probably be the child birth section and I'd find something that interests me.

I've done some introspection and discovered where that gift comes from. Well, at least I've gotten one step closer to discovering it's origin. I like to learn. Maybe more so than my liking of learning is my attraction to the idea of knowing a lot of things. That fact is proven in my habit of picking up books that catch my eye, reading the first couple of lines on the back, pretending to read the remainder of the back, then putting the book back on the shelf.

The fact is, I really want all of the knowledge that the books in any given bookstore have to offer, without spending the time or money necessary to acquire said knowledge. That's the problem. And I blame the Internet.

Another thing I love to do at bookstores (and everywhere else I go) is watch people! Especially in the magi zine section. If you ever find yourself with a free afternoon and you just don't know what to do, go to the local Barnes, grab a book and pretend to read it near the magazine section while looking at people and observing to which magazines they are drawn. It is fascinating.

Clearly this post hasn't been profitable or funny, and I doubt it's even been entertaining, but it's what I've been thinking about lately, so it gets blog-space. There is one very funny thing about this post, and if you haven't noticed it already, go ahead and scroll back up and click on that picture. Look at the books on the table at which the boy is sitting. Hilarious.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Bir-day!

Anonymous said...

I completely feel ya.
AND, I was entertained.
Well said!

Brandon said...

beta stinks...new blog address..

largerneedle.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

and...it's time for you to have a new post.

Anonymous said...

I recall a certain post by one such "derrick oliver"...

"beta.blogger.my butt"